There are a variety of older homes in the borough of Royersford with different
architectural features and designs. There were many beautiful mansions that did
not survive the test of time. Listed here are the four oldest homes that have remained with us.
The Custer House is the oldest house in the borough of Royersford. The house, built in 1817, is located at 224 – 226 Second Avenue. Shown in the 1898 photo are seven of the original nine Custer children. They are posed on the front lawn. Standing from left to right is: Sarah A. Grubb, Mary Ann Custer, Elizabeth A. Quigg, and Charlotte Poley. Seated are: Maria Huzzard, Abraham Custer and Rebecca Lewin. Samuel Custer’s farm property bordered the river to the west and, what is now Main Street, on the North. It covered over 200 acres. The house remains as private residence today.
Frederick Berkstrasser built his house in 1818. It is the second oldest house in Royersford and is located at 327 North Third Avenue. At the time
Frederick built this house, he owned over 200 acres of ground that bordered the
river on the West and Main Street on the South. The house remains as private
residence today. He also built Royersford’s first tavern later known as Schwenk’s tavern. Schwenk’s became the station for the railroad and it is here that the first official sign with the name Royer’s Ford was posted.
The former Latshaw farmhouse, built in the 1855, is the third oldest house in
Royersford. For many years this house, located at 623 Main Street in Royersford, belonged to Mr. & Mrs. Bertram Brandreth. The Latshaw's had a very large family and many of their children went on to start businesses in the community. The house remains as private residence today.
The William Lewin Plantation House known today as the Spring-Ford Area Historical Society was built in 1861 by William Lewin & Rebecca Custer Lewin.It
is located at 526 Main Street in Royersford. Today it is the fourth oldest house in Royersford. Chester Rogers acquired the property in 1910 and made several changes and improvements to the structure which gave it a new look that it still has today.
This is the one house that you can come and visit on the inside. It is open on Mondays, Wednwsdays and Fridays fron 11 AM to 3 PM and the first and third Sunday from 1 PM to 3 PM.